Sunday, December 28, 2008

Excema and other oddities

A couple weeks ago, I started to develop this gnarly rash-type redness on my collarbone. It was one little spot that itched like MAD - and naturally, I obliged every single itch - practically numbing the spot from the constant scratching. The skin wasn't dry or patchy and to the best of my knowledge I hadn't come into contact with anything odd or new in the past days/weeks. I figured, "Eh, oh well," and I just let it go in hopes that it would eventually fade on its own. Not so.

A few days later, it spread all over my neck and to the other side of my collarbone. Gross. Honestly, it was one of the most unsightly things and it drove me to a new level of self-consciousness. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that either A) I was developing excema or B) I was allergic to the necklace I'd worn every single day for the past two years. My luck, it would've been the former. Too stubborn to remove the necklace right away, (Two years! C'mon, it's difficult to break that kind of timeline) I eventually realized that it wasn't getting any better and seemed to itch more at the jewelry's contact points.

Ditched the necklace about a week ago. Two days ago, James said that it looked as if the redness was clearing up. At the time, I didn't see it - but today it's nearly gone from my neck and the point of origin on my collarbone seems to be fading, as well. I think it's safe to say I dodged the excema bullet - which I couldn't be happier about - it's not as if I need yet another medical hurdle to deal with.

Amy: 1
Weird skin redness: 0

In other news, it's 17 days until my PhD application is due. The only thing I have left to complete is the damn letter of intent. I have been struggling for WEEKS to simply tell the English department at WSU why I feel I should be admitted to the program. This is especially retarded for me given the fact that I've only been telling people for the past TWO YEARS why I want to be a graduate student. So - why am I finding it difficult to put this into a 3 page letter? I have a few hypotheses - none of which are helping this letter write itself. The bottom line: My next day off absolutely, without procrastinatory argument, NEEDS to be dedicated to finishing that letter.

I'm serious. *cough*

So - our basement floods pretty bad when we have torrential downpours or ... 7 inches of snow melt in one day. (Yay, Michigan) Well, Grandma is having that all fixed this week - which means we have to tear up our basement in preparation. This means my treadmill is out of commission until it's all over. Sad face.

My actual point in bringing it up is the fact that my uncle has been laboring over tearing the carpet up in the basement nearly the entire evening. He's also cleaning out the space underneath our basement stairs (and finding a lot of awesome old treasures in the process, might I add.) Well, I have one of the most curious cats in existence - if you're doing something, she's gotta have her head in it.

Anyway - I was called to remove Kenobi from underneath the stairs, lest she get locked in there. Well, as I was going to pick her up - she flipped out and attacked me. My cat has never shown her temper to me or any living creature for that matter. Kenobi is incredibly docile, and the terror in her eyes scared the piss out of me. I wasn't mad that she clawed the fuck out of my leg, but rather I was upset that she was frightened. I spent a moment contemplating what could've freaked her out so badly - but then my mind began to wander into the territory of the supernatural and I immediately aborted that mental mission. The jury will always be out when it comes to ghosts and all that jazz - my agnosticism/skepticism simply won't allow my brain to succumb. It was just all-around weird. I held Kenobi tight, pet her, talked to her, and gave her kitty-kisses until she calmed down and relaxed in my lap on her own free will. The terror has subsided, as she is now lying next to me in bed, chewing on the edge of a comic book.

The three gouges in my thigh are still burning. I pointed to them and said "Look what you did!" She replied with a somewhat mournful "Mew" and rubbed her face against my knee.

No comments: