Monday, October 27, 2008

Oh, Bravo

The other day MSNBC was making a sorry attempt at "fairness" by showing McCain giving a speech at some rally - so I flipped the channel momentarily. I turned over to Bravo - because frankly, 3 out of 5 of their reality shows have highly-amusing flamboyantly gay dudes, and I love it.

"Top Design" happened to be on at that particular moment. Now, I don't watch nearly enough television to know much about the contestants (or even objectives) of most of these programs - however - that doesn't stop me from making a quick judgment about its content. As I watched the tail-end of this episode of Top Design - I kept thinking to myself, "How in the hell can you really JUDGE a design?" Interior decorating, in my opinion, is just purely subjective. If all four judges think someones design is utter crap, there's a chance that there are more than a few "rich-folk" who would shell out their disposable incomes for that very crap. So what makes one a professional when it comes to design? It's just art. And we all know how broad the spectrum of art can be.

This leads me to the thought I had this afternoon regarding my own passion and professional direction. I'm a student of rhetoric and theory. There have been a whole lot of theorists that I've read in my time that I've absolutely rallied against - insisting that their highly-acclaimed writing is nothing but a headache between two covers. And yet, esteemed professors that I respect and admire greatly have stressed the importance of their theoretical contributions.

All I can do is hope that those reading my latest theoretical project consider it to be substantially better than "crap." That, my dear readers, is how applying for graduate school is like being on a fucking reality show.

No comments: